Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Needed: A push for libraries

Sent to the Daily Telegraph, Sydney Australia (Sept 8, 2015)

Re: Phonics will be pushed in NSW schools: Teachers have little training in it (Sept. 8)
I wonder if those insisting on a "major push on phonics" are aware of the fact that "whole language" includes basic phonics, the straight-forward rules that students can learn, remember and apply to texts to make reading more comprehensible.  I wonder if they are aware of research showing that those have done heavy phonics, way beyond the basics, do not do better on tests of reading comprehension, tests in which children have to understand what they read.  I wonder if they know that those who read better are those who have done more real reading for pleasure, and children with more access to books do more reading for pleasure.
We need a major push for libraries, not phonics.
Stephen Krashen

Original article: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/phonics-will-be-pushed-in-nsw-schools-teachers-have-little-training-in-it/story-fni0cx12-1227518577796

1 comment:

  1. I GOT A LEGIT LOAN WITHIN THREE DAYS OF APPLYING @ 2% INTEREST RATE

    Do you need a loan to pay debt, Pay bills, buy a new home and refinance your business? if yes contact MARIA HAUSTIN LOAN FIRM VIA email: mariahaustin@hotmail.com for easy and fast loan amount transfer. When i could not face my debt and i need a hug money for my son surgery, to get a good home and money to buy groceries for my other kids at home then i came on line to search for lender and i met how Mariahaustin had help several person. i immediately contact her company with my details and my loan amount was approve within 48hours and i receive the credit in my bank. contact MARIAH AUSTIN LOAN FIRM with her email mariahaustin@hotmail.com For fast approved funds transfer

    ReplyDelete